By positively advancing education internationalization, WMU has established friendly exchange and cooperative relations with more than 100 overseas educational and scientific research institutions. Cooperation with these institutions has been made in various forms including exchange of students, scholars, joint training of doctoral degree candidates and cooperative research. Thanks to years of efforts to promote the education of international students, more than 750 full-time international students from 60 countries and regions in Europe, America, Asia, Africa and Oceania are now studying at WMU. In addition, WMU has jointly established Confucius Institutes with Burapha University, Thailand, and the State University of New York, USA.
1. Collaborative Education
● Up to 2016, established long-term stable friendly relations of cooperation with 22 overseas countries and regions of more than 100 universities and education institutions, including the medical college of Harvard University, UC Davis, the University of Western Australia and other world's top universities.
● Since 1992, the school has carried out academic student exchange programs with the New England College of Optometry, USA, the University of Queensland, Australia, Medical University of Graz, Austria, Ohio State University, USA, Linnaeus University, Sweden, I-shou university, Taiwan region, ChiengmaiUniversity, Thailand, and other colleges and universities across the world.
● In 2000, joint M.S/O.D program in collaboration with New England College of Optometry, USA, the first of its kind in China, was approved by the State Council.
● In 2007, signing the English “4+1” and”2+2” credit transfer program with University of the Pacific.
● In 2009, began cooperation projects in Japanese language course credit transfer with Hokuriku university.
●In 2010, the joint bachelor’s degree program in Nursing Science in collaboration with Thomas University, USA, the first of its kind in China, was approved by the Ministry of Education.
● In 2011,start the “3+2” project DBMD (Dual Bachelor-Master Degree) program with Temple University, USA.
● In 2012, sign agreement with the university of Arizona on "4+1" undergraduate students of preventive medicine double major cooperation projects
● In 2015, the Huatuo Institute at the Medical University of Lublin, Poland was established and the joint MBBS program with the Medical University of Lublin was launched.
● In 2016,joint PhD program in Clinical Medicine （Translational Medicine）with Lund University is approved by the Chinese Ministry of Education. The first joint program in Translational Medicine in China.
● The Confucius Institute established in collaboration with Burapha University in Thailand in 2006 is the first overseas Confucius Institute set up by a Zhejiang provincial university and the first one with traditional Chinese medical practice as its main characteristic in China.
● In 2010, the Confucius Institute at College of Optometry of the State University of New York (SUNY), USA was jointly established by WMU and the SUNY.
3. Friendship Awards
● 2 foreign experts employed by WMU have won the honors of the “National Friendship Award” by the Chinese Central Government, 17 experts are recipients of the “West Lake Friendship Award” by Zhejiang Provincial Government and 35 are winners of the ”Yandang friendship Award“ by Wenzhou Municipal Government.